Face oils have been around since Cleopatra was the It girl, and they've been super-hot property for the past few years - but not without controversy. We try to get a not-so-slippery/firm grip on the truth... the risks, rewards and which ones are best for your skin type.
The Pro and Anti camps are pretty vocal in their beliefs, and the truth (naturally!) is somewhere in between. We do our best to give you guidelines on the risks, rewards and the best oils for your specific skin, whether it be oily, acne prone, dry, aging or sensitive. Then it's up to you to choose...
Firstly, understand the basics.
- Not all oils are the same. Their composition and texture determine which skin type can use them. And there’s a difference between essential oils and unscented fixed oils. Essential oils can be tricky when used on skin… if not used correctly, while fixed oils are very unlikely to cause any adverse reaction.
- Essential oils are powerfully concentrated, volatile scented oils extracted from the flowers, leaves, seeds, bark, stem, fruit and roots of plants, such as rose, lavender, orange and sandalwood oils. Essential oils need to be diluted in a fixed/carrier oil before use.
- Unscented fixed oils include jojoba, almond, argan, marula, olive, kukui, coconut, sunflower, and so on. These are full of nutrients like essential fatty acids and vitamins. Fixed oils can be used alone or as carrier/blending oils for essential oils.
- Where they come from, what's in them and how they're made. As with any skincare, oil quality differs. Quality of raw ingredients, if other ingredients have been added, how they are treated when manufactured, all play a part in the quality and effectiveness of the treatment.
- How you use them. Some treatments are better for certain skin conditions than others. So choose the correct ones to treat your skin needs and, in that way, hopefully avoid irritation and breakouts.
Shop Your Products Now
Payment on collection at Dis-Chem
NO payment online. NO delivery costs. NO minimum order.
African Extracts Rooibos Advantage Daily Repair Facial Oil 30Ml
Clarins Lotus Face Treatment Oil 30Ml
Clarins Santal Face Treatment Oil 30Ml
Eucerin Elasticity Filler Face Oil 15Ml
L'Oreal Dermo Expert Age Perfect Extraordinary Oil 30ml
Payot Nutricia Huile Ultra Nourishing Silky Dry Oil 30Ml
Vichy Purete Thermale Cleansing Oil 125Ml