Face oils have been around since Cleopatra was the It girl, and they've been super-hot property for the past few years - but not without controversy. We try to get a not-so-slippery/firm grip on the truth... the risks, rewards and which ones are best for your skin type.
The Pro and Anti camps are pretty vocal in their beliefs, and the truth (naturally!) is somewhere in between. We do our best to give you guidelines on the risks, rewards and the best oils for your specific skin, whether it be oily, acne prone, dry, aging or sensitive. Then it's up to you to choose...
Firstly, understand the basics.
- Not all oils are the same. Their composition and texture determine which skin type can use them. And there’s a difference between essential oils and unscented fixed oils. Essential oils can be tricky when used on skin… if not used correctly, while fixed oils are very unlikely to cause any adverse reaction.
- Essential oils are powerfully concentrated, volatile scented oils extracted from the flowers, leaves, seeds, bark, stem, fruit and roots of plants, such as rose, lavender, orange and sandalwood oils. Essential oils need to be diluted in a fixed/carrier oil before use.
- Unscented fixed oils include jojoba, almond, argan, marula, olive, kukui, coconut, sunflower, and so on. These are full of nutrients like essential fatty acids and vitamins. Fixed oils can be used alone or as carrier/blending oils for essential oils.
- Where they come from, what's in them and how they're made. As with any skincare, oil quality differs. Quality of raw ingredients, if other ingredients have been added, how they are treated when manufactured, all play a part in the quality and effectiveness of the treatment.
- How you use them. Some treatments are better for certain skin conditions than others. So choose the correct ones to treat your skin needs and, in that way, hopefully avoid irritation and breakouts.
Shop Your Products Now
Payment on collection at Dis-Chem
NO payment online. NO delivery costs. NO minimum order.
Bon Liquid Gold Pure Tissue Oil
Clarins Lotus Face Treatment Oil
Clarins Santal Face Treatment Oil
Dis-Chem Pure Base Oil - Jojoba
Dis-Chem Pure Base Oil - Sweet Almond
Soil Organic Carrier Oil - Rose Hip
Soil Organic Essential Oil - Tea Tree
African Extracts Rooibos Daily Repair Facial Oil
Avene Xera Calm Lipid Replenishing Cleansing Oil
Payot Nourishing Silky Dry Oil
Thursday Plantation 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil
Vichy Pureté Thermale Beautifying Cleansing Micellar Oil